In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, one must not forget to make scones…I mean the best way to show love to a friend is to have them over for sweet heart shaped scones and tea. Every year I make the chocolate chip ones for my kids. You have to incorporate a little chocolate in there, it is the holiday of roses and chocolate, right?
Eat your scone with a nice raspberry black tea. Nothing yummier than chocolate and raspberry!
Hints to scone making…DO NOT over mix, and the butter must be COLD and of course, don’t over bake!
Chocolate chip scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 stick of COLD butter (no substitutes)
½ cold half and half
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup mini chocolate chips
Bake 400 degrees, yields 10-12 scones
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Cut butter into small pieces and then add to dry ingredients, mixing it up with a fork to create crumbs, “pebbles”
- Add rest of ingredients and mix with your hands to incorporate. Do not over mix, you want small pieces of cold butter throughout the dough
- On floured surface roll out to 1-inch-thick and cut shape desired. Unused dough, re work slightly to roll out again to use until its gone.
- Brush with a little egg white and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes, then pop in oven and bake 13-15 minutes