Summer is coming to an end, and I am so VERY ok with that! Its been a hot summer and though I have enjoyed my beach time,gardening and farmers market outings..its time for cooler weather! When I think of fall, I think pumpkin everything ( of course), caramel/toffee, chai tea, and cinnamon!
I am always in need of a quick sweet to make for group gatherings.Toffee gives me that fall feeling, this is similar to the candy toffee, but has a shortbread crust. These are great to make ahead of time and they freeze wonderful! I like to make them also at Christmas time for cookie swaps. You can make this recipe as big as you’d like. Package them in cookie bags with ribbon and they make a great sweet gift!
Sprinkled with inspiration.com
Adapted from Joy of Baking.com
1 cup butter (real butter)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
2 cups AP flour
12 oz HEALTH bar bits (you can sometimes find in baking isle next to chocolate chips)
12 oz semi sweet or milk chocolate chips, good quality
- Preheat oven 350 and line a 13×9 pan with parchment and lightly spray. This way you can pop out the bars more easily
- Melt butter in saucepan, remove from heat and stir in sugar salt and extract. Then add flour.
- Spread evenly over pan and bake 25-30 minutes (edges are brown)
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot crust and spread it until its even. Then sprinkle Health toffee bar bits
- Refrigerate 1 hour, and take out and pop put of pan and cut
- Enjoy 😊